Minty mint-chocolate ice cream
Fresh mint ice cream with chocolate. Best home made ice cream ever.
This recipe contains milk, sugar, heavy cream, salt, mint leaves, eggs, , bittersweet chocolate chips
About 1 quarts servings
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 5 large egg yolks
- For the chocolate chips:
- 5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped or chocolate chips
- 1. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup heavy cream, salt, and mint. Once the mixture is hot and steaming, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for around an hour so the mint flavor gets infused.
- 2. Remove the mint with a strainer, then press down with a spatula or hands firmly to extract as much mint flavor and color as possible. Once the flavor is squeezed out, discard the mint.
- 3. Now pour the remaining heavy cream into a large bowl and set the strainer over the top.
- 4. Rewarm the infused milk. In another separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and then add little warmed up mint infused milk. Stir and pour it all into the remaining infused milk by scraping all the egg mix.
- 5. Cook the custard on medium heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. It’s done when you run your finger over the spatula and it should leave a mark that shouldn’t flow back.
- 6. Immediately strain the mixture into the cream, then stir the mixture over an ice bath until cool.
- 7. Cover the mixture and refrigerate it thoroughly for few hours or preferably overnight, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- 8. While the mixture is freezing, melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pot of simmering water. Keep stirring the chocolate till it melts. (Make sure the bowl you use for melting chocolate is completely dry as even few drops of water will harden the chocolate)
- 9. When the ice cream in the machine is ready, scribble some of the chocolate into the container, then add a layer of the ice cream to the container. Scribble melted chocolate over the top of the ice cream, then quickly stir it in, breaking up the chocolate into irregular pieces. Continue layering the ice cream, scribbling more chocolate and stirring as you go.
- 10. When finished, cover it tightly and freeze until firm. Freeze atleast 2-3 hours before serving to get hard ice cream or have it soft serve style immediately.