This is rice pudding with a whole lot of attitude! It's made with risotto rice, it has chocolate and it has coffee - perfect for Easter or any other occasion! How does one eat it? As is, unadorned, is always going to be good. Of course, a dollop of ice cream, some clotted cream, or my favourite, some mascarpone, enhances the experience by giving you another layer of flavour. Hot or room temperature is a decision you’ll have to make, I personally prefer it warm, the contrast with whatever cold complement you serve will tease your senses, enhancing the experience further.
This recipe contains rice (arborio), milk, water, milk (condensed, sweetened), sugar, espresso (ground), butter, vanilla extract, chocolate (dark)
4 - 6 Servings
Cook time: 40 min
- 200 g. arborio rice
- 400 ml. fresh full fat milk
- 150ml water
- 100 g. condensed milk
- 2 - 4 tbsp. sugar (to taste, I don't like mine sweet)
- 50 ml. strong espresso
- 30 g. salted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste or extract
- 100 g. 70% dark chocolate, broken up
- 1. Place the rice, milk, water, condensed milk and sugar and bring to a gentle boil over low heat, stirring to mix everything.
- 2. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, especially at the end, to prevent burning.
- 3. At 30 minutes, add the coffee, stir and cook for a couple more minutes, just to let the additional liquid dry up a little.
- 4. Take off heat and add the chocolate pieces, butter and vanilla, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and the consistency seizes up slightly from the chocolate (thickens).