MODERN BOSSAM (BRAISED & BOILED PORK W LETTUCE WRAPS)
This recipe contains pork tenderloin, fresh garlic, onions, soy sauce, black pepper, onions (green/spring), peppers (chili, fresh), brown sugar, apples, fresh ginger, salt, black pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1 kg pork tenderloin (pork belly is perfectly fine too)
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 onion, halved
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp ground pepper (or peppercorn)
- 3 green onions, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 green or red chili peppers, cubed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 apple, quartered (optional but recommended)
- 1 tsp ginger, whole (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 tsp salt for pre-rub
- 1/2 tsp pepper for pre-rub
- 1. Rub salt and pepper onto the pork tenderloin pieces. Substituting with other seasonings acceptable.
- 2. On a non-stick frying pan or Dutch oven, sear the pork tenderloin pieces until slightly charred. Due to the low fat content, using a small amount of oil or butter is recommended. Once braised, add
- 3. enough water to cover the pork pieces and include all ingredients on the list.
- 4. Bring the pot to a rapid boil and then let simmer on medium heat for approximately 45~60 minutes. Replenish water as needed to keep the pork covered.
- 5. Remove the pork to a cutting board and let cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, either strain the brine with a washcloth or use a strainer to remove cooked vegetables and fatty deposits.
- 6. For a sauce component, boil the remaining liquid and add a mixture of 1 tbsp cornstarch with ¼ cup of water. Stir in slowly to prevent clumping. Set aside.
- 7. Thinly slice the meat according to preference and plate.
- 8. Serve hot with bossam kimchi, salted cabbage, lettuce wraps, namul banchan, etc.