Moist and Tender Lemon Cake
My favorite lemon cake: soft, moist and just wonderful.
This recipe contains butter, caster sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, lemons, flour (all-purpose), baking powder, sugar (powdered, confectioners), lemons
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz butter at room temperature
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs (medium Europe, large US)
- 1 organic lemon
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz icing sugar
- 1 more lemon
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray (30 x 40 cm/ 12 x 15 inch) with baking paper.
- 2. Place the soft butter in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for several minutes.
- 3. Add the eggs one at the time mixing very well before adding the next egg. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl a few times in between.
- 4. Add the zest of the lemon and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 5. Mix together the flour and the baking powder and sieve over the butter-egg mixture. Incorporate carefully.
- 6. Pour the batter onto the prepared tray and bake for about 20 minutes. The cake should remain pale and still lightly moist inside.
- 7. For the glaze mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to obtain a spreadable paste. Spread this over the hot cake working quickly and distribute the sprinkles evenly on top.