Mom's Pea Soup with Ham
Pea soup simmering on the stove fills the house with wonderful aromas and your stomach with homemade and yummy mouth watering goodness. Great for cold days.
This recipe contains , peas (yellow, split), carrots, onions, bay leaves (dried), salt, water, olive oil
12 cups servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 3 hr
- 1 ham bone
- 2 1/2 cups yellow split peas (rinsed)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- 9 cups water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for sauteing
- 1. Pick your favourite soup pot.
- 2. Dice onion.
- 3. Add enough olive oil to cover bottom of pot.
- 4. Heat oil, and sauté onion for approximately 5 minutes.
- 5. Add diced carrots and sauté additional 5 minutes.
- 6. Add ham bone and water.
- 7. Bring to a boil and skim off foam. Do this for about 5 minutes, or until foam no longer appears.
- 8. Add peas, bay leaves and salt.
- 9. Reduce to simmer, and simmer for approximately 3 hours.
- 10. Soup will be done when peas are mushy and fall apart.
- 11. Remove pot from stove.
- 12. Remove ham bone and bay leaves from pot.
- 13. Remove any meat from bone, shred with fork and put aside.
- 14. Using immersion blender, puree soup till creamy and smooth.
- 15. Return meat to the soup, reserving some for garnish.
- 16. Serve with bread, buns or savoury muffins.
- 17. Enjoy!!