A delicious vegetarian dish with paneer (Indian cottage cheese)
This recipe contains , oil, cumin (seeds), tomatoes, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers (green), turmeric, chili powder, green chiles, chili (red, dried), ginger (fresh), garam masala, sugar, vinegar, coriander (fresh), salt
Serves 2-3 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 200 gms paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cut into 3cm x 1cm pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tomato cut into strips
- 2 tomatoes (for puree)
- 1 large onion - 1/2 cut into strips and 1/2 for puree
- 1 pepper cut into strips (I used half a green and half a red pepper for some colour)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 - 3 dried red (kashmiri) chillies
- 1 inch ginger cut into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vinegar
- A couple of sprigs of coriander (cilantro) for garnish
- salt to taste
- 1. Roughly chop half an onion and 2 tomatoes. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan. Add the onions and fry until lightly brown. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Remove, let cool and blend to a purée in blender.
- 2. In the same pan heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sputter. Add the kashmiri red chillies and the finely sliced ginger and fry for 30-45 seconds.
- 3. Add the turmeric powder followed by the onions, peppers, chilli powder, salt and two-thirds of the chopped green chillies and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- 4. Add the paneer and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomato purée, garam masala and sugar and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 5. Then add the tomatoes (cut into strips) and toss. Stir in the vinegar and garnish with green chillies and coriander.