Panna Cotta with Apricot Sauce
Deliciously creamy Italian vanilla bean panna cotta dessert, topped with apricots flavored with amaretto liqueur.
This recipe contains , milk, gelatin, heavy cream, vanilla bean, sugar, salt, , apricots, sugar, salt, amaretto
makes 4 servings servings
- For the panna cotta:
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 1/2 t. unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 piece of vanilla bean, about 1-inch long
- 3 T. sugar
- pinch of salt
- For the apricot sauce:
- 1 lb. apricots, pitted and coarsely chopped (I find it unnecessary to peel apricots, the skins are very tender)
- 1/4 c. sugar (more or less to taste, depending on the sweetness of the apricots)
- pinch of salt
- 1 oz. amaretto liqueur
- 1. Prepare the panna cotta: In a medium saucepan, add the milk and then sprinkle the gelatin powder over the top. Let sit for 10 minutes to rehydrate the gelatin.
- 2. While the gelatin sits, make an ice bath by filling a large bowl with about 2 cups of ice cubes and about 2 cups of cold water, set aside. Measure the cream into a liquid measuring cup or pitcher. Using a sharp knife, cut a slit lengthwise down the vanilla bean and scrape the tiny black seeds from the inside, add the seeds and the pod to the heavy cream and whisk to combine.
- 3. Heat the milk/gelatin over high heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin is dissolved and the temperature registers 135 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from the heat add the sugar and salt and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- 4. Slowly add in the cream and vanilla, stirring constantly, then transfer the panna cotta mixture to a bowl and set in in the ice bath. Let sit, stirring frequently until the temperature reaches 50 degrees. Strain the panna cotta through a fine-mesh strainer and divide evenly between ramekins or serving glasses. Refrigerate until set and chilled, about 4 hours. Serve the panna cottas, topped with the apricot sauce. (instructions follow)
- 5. To make the amaretto-apricot sauce: Combine the apricots, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, until the apricots release their juices about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Using a potato masher, mash the apricots to break them down a bit. Off the heat add in the amaretto. Chill until ready to serve.