Pasta with Anchovy-Walnut Sauce
Anchovies get a bad rap and I’m not sure why – they’re so small and flavorful (not to mention healthy)! I’m telling you, you won’t regret making this pasta dish! The anchovies get mashed up and cooked down, so you won’t even see them. You’ll just be left with their salty flavor. The spices, pepper and toasted walnuts tie the dish together. Salty, spicy, crunchy…yum!
This recipe contains pasta (spaghetti), olive oil, onions, peppers (chili, fresh), anchovies, fresh garlic, vegetable broth, bell peppers (red), walnuts, salt, black pepper, parsley (fresh)
4 servings servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta like spaghetti or fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion (the original recipe calls for 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced Anaheim chile pepper (the original recipe calls for red bell pepper)
- 6 canned anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (the original recipe calls for chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley as garnish (optional)
- 1. Cook your pasta according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain the pasta (reserve 1/2 cup of the water to use later) and set it aside. Keep it warm if possible, or at least at room temperature.
- 2. Use a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and allow it to get hot. Add the onion and sauté it for about five minutes or until they start to soften.
- 3. Add your pepper, anchovies, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, stirring it often and breaking up the anchovies into small pieces. Pour in the broth and mix everything together. Toss in the crushed red pepper and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
- 4. Add the pasta to the mixture, along with the reserved water). Add the salt and pepper to taste. If you’re adding parsley, sprinkle it over the mixture now.
- 5. Toss the pasta to coat it well and serve.
- 6. Makes 4 servings
- 7. Adapted from Cooking Light