Pasta with Raw Tomato & Lemon Infused Olive Oil
In the height of tomato season try this light and refreshing summer pasta sauce of raw uncooked tomatoes with lemon infused olive oil tossed over fresh pasta. The lemon compliments the tomatoes creating a bright & flavorful dish that's quick & easy. On a hot summer day all it takes is to boil the pasta & you're done!
This recipe contains olive oil, lemons, tomatoes, salt, cheese (pecorino), crushed red pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) of extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 3-5 unwaxed lemons, depending on the size
- 1 kilo or 32 oz, passed tomatoes, the best fresh tomatoes you can find or canned
- salt to taste
- handful of aged pecorino (sheep's milk cheese) or parmesan freshly grated
- chili pepper flakes to taste
- 1. A day or so before you would like to use the sauce combine lemon zest and oil in a bowl, cover and allow to sit out.
- 2. The next day, strain out zest from oil and drizzle slowly into passed tomatoes as you constantly stir. When all the oil is incorporated, season with salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to sit once more for a bit to allow the flavors to come together.
- 3. To serve: Give the sauce a good stir as it will have surely separated and toss with hot thin pasta and a sprinkle of grated aged pecorino (sheep's milk cheese) or parmesan.