Olive Oil Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce
Want something to inspire ooohs and aaahs at your next dinner party? This smooth, silky and sophisticated ice cream is dressed to impress with a drizzle of salty and sweet salted caramel sauce. This is a memorable end to any meal.
This recipe contains , sugar, heavy cream, half & half, eggs, vanilla extract, olive oil, , sugar, water, corn syrup, instant coffee, heavy cream, unsalted butter, salt (kosher)
1 Quart servings
- OLIVE OIL ICE CREAM:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I love Mexican vanilla)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. OLIVE OIL ICE CREAM:
- 2. Place sugar, cream and half and half in a medium size heavy gauge saucepan over medium high heat. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- 3. Place eggs in a medium size bowl, beat well. Slowly add approximately 1 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolks while whisking vigorously. Slowly add the egg mixture back to the milk mixture in the saucepan. Bring the mixture back up to a boil before reducing heat to keep at a simmer. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until thickened to the point that it will coat the back of a spoon.
- 4. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and olive oil. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any egg solids. Transfer to a covered jar or container with a lid. Refrigerate 12 – 24 hours.
- 5. The next day, place the ice cream mixture in the freezer bowl of an ice cream freezer. Freeze until it is creamy. If needed transfer ice cream to a freezer container and leave to freeze for a couple of hours until firm.
- 6. SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 7. Place the sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium size heavy weight sauce pan set over medium high heat. Stir occasionally and bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium. At this point stop stirring and just let the mixture boil using a wet pastry brush to brush down any crystals that accumulate around the edge of the pan. Cook until mixture is a medium brown.
- 8. Remove mixture from the heat and slowly whisk in the cream, butter and salt (do this step carefully as the sugar mixture will bubble up). Whisk until everything is completely combined. Serve while warm or at room temperature.
- 9. Makes approximately 2 cups.