Open-Face Egg Sandwich with Bacon, Asparagus, and Pesto
What could be a better start to Valentine’s Day than a delicious breakfast with some playful presentation? This dish combines bacon, roasted asparagus, roasted green onions, bronzed sourdough, homemade pesto spread, and of course, a fried egg. I love cutting this sandwich in half and letting the gooey fried egg run over the asparagus and bacon. Topping each bite with bits of tomato cucumber salad adds a final fresh component to this irresistible flavor profile.
This recipe contains bread, bacon, eggs, , spinach, basil, garlic, pine nuts, cheese (parmesan), olive oil, , asparagus, onions (green/spring), olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt, black pepper, , tomatoes (roma), cucumbers, basil, lemons, salt, black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 eggs
- Spinach and Basil Pesto:
- 1 bunch spinach leaves
- .66 container basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Roasted Asparagus and Scallions:
- 12 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed
- 4 scallions, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato Cucumber Salad:
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- drizzle of fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1. To make the pesto: Place spinach leaves, basil leaves, minced garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor.
- 2. Pulse until a spreadable paste forms.
- 3. Set aside.
- 4. To roast the asparagus and scallions: Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 5. Place the asparagus spears and scallions in a 9x13 pan and drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- 6. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- 7. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until they have browned.
- 8. To make the tomato and cucumber salad: In a medium bowl, toss together the chopped tomato, the chopped cucumber, and the chopped basil.
- 9. Drizzle fresh lemon juice.
- 10. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- 11. To make the bacon and bronzed toast: Fry up bacon slices on a griddle over medium heat.
- 12. Once both sides have crisped, remove from griddle and place on a paper towel.
- 13. Don’t drain the bacon grease, use this pan to toast the slices of bread. Place the slices of sourdough bread on the griddle and bronze each side.
- 14. Take off heat once both sides have browned
- 15. For the fried egg: melt butter in skillet on medium heat.
- 16. To get the heart-shaped egg, we cracked the eggs into Norpro Nonstick Heart and Pancake Egg Rings, then continued to fry just until egg white is cooked, or sunny-side up, roughly 1 minute.
- 17. You could also fry the egg normally and cut the egg into a heart shape.
- 18. To assemble sandwiches: Place 2 slices of bacon on a slice of the bronzed sourdough toast.
- 19. Place a few roasted asparagus spears and scallion on top of the bacon.
- 20. Spread a thick layer of spinach basil pesto.
- 21. Finally, top with the heart-shaped fried egg.
- 22. Serve salad on side.