Moist, fluffy pie full of the bitter-sweet orange aroma.
This recipe contains phyllo dough, yogurt, milk, oil (sunflower), sugar (demerara), eggs, oranges, baking powder, orange extract, , oranges, water, sugar (demerara)
12 servings servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 package phyllo pastry (450g)
- 200 ml plain yogurt
- 100 ml milk
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 100 g Demerrara sugar
- 4 eggs
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 3 sachets baking powder (21g)
- 1 tsp orange essence
- 200 ml orange juice (2 1/2 sweet oranges)
- 300 ml water
- 2 cups Demerrara sugar
- 1. Separate the phyllo pastry sheets and set them aside to dry for half an hour. This way they are easier to break, and do not produce hard masses in the cake mixture.
- 2. Dilute the yogurt into the milk.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix the yogurt and milk, add all the other ingredients and combine gently into a thin, creamy batter.
- 4. Tear the phyllo pastry sheets into small pieces and put them into the bowl with the mixture. Use 2 forks to stir gently and better integrate them into the creamy batter.
- 5. Pour the the mixture into the greased rectangle (30x40cm) nonstick baking pan and bake in the oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes or until the pie is golden brown and the base is cooked. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- 6. Meanwhile, prepare the syrup: put the ingredients for the syrup in a small saucepan and cook for 5 minutes (time is measured from the moment the syrup begins to boil).
- 7. Cut the cooled pie into eaqule square pieces and drizzle with syrup. Let it absorb all of the syrup.