Orange-Fig Teacake with Caramel Glaze
Easy recipe that yields a rich, moist cake with just the right amount of buttery, caramel sweetness.
This recipe contains , unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, heavy cream, vanilla extract, flour (all-purpose), baking powder, salt, cardamom, oranges, figs (fresh), , sugar, heavy cream, water, butter
8-10 servings servings
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar + 2T for sprinkling
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t cardamom
- 2 navel oranges
- 6 fresh figs, halved
- Caramel Glaze:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed 30 seconds in microwave
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1. You will need a 9" springform pan, or a cake pan with at least 2" high sides, sprayed with baking spray or buttered and sprinkled with the 2T of sugar.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350º F
- 3. Zest one orange and add the zest to your mixing bowl.
- 4. Cut the peel off both oranges, removing all pith, and slice into 1/4" rounds.
- 5. Cut the figs in half.
- 6. Combine the softened butter, orange zest, and sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- 7. Add the eggs, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat well.
- 8. Sift the remaining dry ingredients into the batter and gently incorporate.
- 9. Layer the figs and orange slices into the pan and spoon the batter on top.
- 10. Gently spread the batter evenly over the whole and tap the pan to release air bubbles and ensure that the batter gets down into all the crevices between the fruit slices on the bottom.
- 11. Bake at 350º F for approximately forty-five minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Let cool slightly before inverting the cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- 12. While the cake is cooling make your caramel sauce.
- 13. Combine sugar and water in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 14. When the sugar is a golden amber color turn off the heat and add the warmed heavy cream, stirring constantly with the wooden spoon. The sauce will react violently and bubble up; this is normal.
- 15. Continue stirring and add the butter. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- 16. Brush the glaze over the cake while the caramel is still warm.
- 17. You will have leftover caramel sauce. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Warm in the microwave for 15-30 seconds before use. You can drizzle some sauce on the plate before serving a slice of cake.