Orecchiette with Brown Butter, Broccoli, Pine Nuts, and Basil
From Curtis Stone's "What's for Dinner?"
This recipe contains broccoli, pasta (orecchiette), unsalted butter, basil (fresh), pine nuts, lemons, salt (kosher), olive oil, black pepper
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 13 oz. broccoli florets with 1-inch stems (about 6 cups)
- 1 lb. orecchiette
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup(s) lightly packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and cook for about 2 minutes, or just until bright green. Using a mesh spoon or sieve, scoop the broccoli out of the water, draining it well, and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- 2. Return the water to a boil. Add the orecchiette and cook, stirring often to ensure it doesn’t stick together, for about 8 minutes, or until tender but still firm to the bite. Scoop out and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the orecchiette.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and stir for about 2 minutes, or until it has turned hazelnut brown. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring often, for about 1 minute, or until hot.
- 4. Add the pasta to the broccoli mixture and stir gently to combine. Stir in the basil, pine nuts, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten the pasta as necessary.
- 5. Divide the pasta among four pasta bowls, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.