Organic Macaroni and Cheese
While summer is often known as the season of bountiful organic food, as the weather turns colder, there is a wide variety of organic products available throughout your local grocery store to heat up your kitchen, and your insides. Try this perfect comfort meal to beat the chill:
This recipe contains bread crumbs, cheese (cheddar, shredded), macaroni, butter, all-purpose flour, milk (low fat), dry mustard powder, black pepper, salt
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 package (200 g) PC Organics Medium Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) organic macaroni
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) PC Organics Salted Fresh Churned Butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) PC Organics All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) PC Organics Partly Skimmed 2% Milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Lightly grease an 8-inch square (2 L) baking dish.
- 2. In small bowl, stir together bread crumbs and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cheese. Set aside for the topping.
- 3. Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain. Rinse under cold water and drain again. Return to pot. Set aside.
- 4. In saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Whisk in dry mustard. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Stir sauce into cooked pasta and turn into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with topping. 6. Cover with sheet of lightly greased aluminum foil. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes, or until top is golden and sauce is bubbling. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.