Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
I stayed up late last night baking these AMAZE-BALL cupcakes for Scott to bring to work. I mean they’re like OHHHMYGAWD Amazing. So tempting that my “oh so prim and proper” husband couldn’t resist dipping the rubber spatula, first into the left over ganache frosting and then into the left over PB filling and then fitting the spatula entirely into his mouth. Through a full mouth I think I made out “That’s wreally guud”. Thanks honey, glad you liked it. This was first thing in the morning and he topped it off with his morning coffee. Breakfast of Champions right there folks!
This recipe contains , , , heavy cream, chocolate (semi-sweet, chips), , sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk, sour cream, coffee, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt (kosher), peanuts, , creamy peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter
16 - 18 Servings
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 25 min
- FYI: The ganache needs about 2 hours to cool
- Makes 16-18 Cupcakes
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 16 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 16 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup(s) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature (If you don't have buttermilk no worries! Add 1 Tbsp of white vinegar to a bowl and 1 cup of milk- let sit 5 minutes then use needed amount)
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. brewed coffee
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) good cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Chopped salted peanuts, to decorate, optional
- PB Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup(s) Favorite Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup(s) Powdered Sugar
- 4 tbsp. Softened Butter
- 1. Frosting:
- 2. I suggest starting by making your ganache first because it takes some time to cool to room temp.
- 3. In a medium-large sized microwave safe bowl heat heavy cream until it SIMMERS not boils. About 3-4 minutes
- 4. Pour chocolate chips into a food processor.
- 5. Add the hot cream.
- 6. Process until creamy.
- 7. Set aside until it cools to room temperature. About 2 hours
- 8. Cupcakes:
- 9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- 11. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- 12. Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs 1 at a time,
- 13. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- 14. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee.
- 15. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- 16. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture.
- 17. Mix only until blended.
- 18. Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it’s completely blended.
- 19. Pour batter into cupcake pan so each cup is filled about ¾ of the way. I used a gravy ladle and it was almost just enough.
- 20. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 21. Cool on wire rack.
- 22. Pb Filling:
- 23. In a medium mixing bowl combine softened butter and peanut butter and beat on medium-low.
- 24. Add sifted powdered sugar and continue to beat mixture until smooth and blended.
- 25. Add to a frosting bag with tip.
- 26. Set aside.
- 27. Ganache Frosting Final Step:
- 28. Once ganache has cooled to room temperature add to a standing mixer bowl and whisk on high until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- 29. Transfer to a tipped frosting bag and set aside.
- 30. Assembling the cupcakes:
- 31. Once cupcakes have cooled fill each cupcake with pb filling by inserting tip of bag into center of cupcake and lightly squeezing the frosting bag.
- 32. The top of the cupcake with expand slightly.
- 33. Repeat until each cupcake is filled.
- 34. Frost each cupcake by slowly squeezing the bag with the tip slightly touching the cupcake. You can either spin the cupcake or move your bag creating a spiral around the perimeter of the cupcake working your way to the center.
- 35. Top with chopped salted peanuts (optional)
- 36. Enjoy!!!
- 37. My Chocolate cupcake recipe came from one of the best bakers ever Ina Garten