Pear and ginger ice cream
A rich, aromatic delight made in Heaven.
This recipe contains eggs, sugar, milk, fresh ginger, pears, sugar
8 - 10 servings servings
Cook time: 10 min
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1. Whisk together egg yolks and 1-¼ cups sugar in a large bowl.
- 2. Heat milk and ginger in a medium saucepan just until bubbles begin to form around edges of the saucepan.
- 3. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return all to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until mixture just coats a metal spoon.
- 4. Quickly cool the custard by placing the saucepan in a sink of ice water for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir constantly.
- 5. Pour mixture through a strainer into a large bowl to remove ginger. Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- 6. Combine pears and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Cover and chill overnight.
- 7. Next day pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen (according to the manufacturer's instructions).
- 8. Stir in pear mixture after ice cream has thickened.
- 9. Transfer ice crem to plastic container and place in the freezer for at least four hours before serving.
- 10. Serving: take it out of the freezer for 10 minutes before serving, or longer, so it comes to the right scooping temperature.
- . Easy suggestion: ice cream is best served in chilled glass or porcelain bowls. Scoop it with a hot, but dry, ice-cream spoon (soak it in boiling water, then wipe dry).