Pear, Leek & Gruyere Turnovers
A delicious appetizer. The flavors in these turnovers are fabulous! To make these turnovers as appetizers, simply use smaller circles of the puff pastry.
This recipe contains butter, leeks, pears, sugar, cheese (gruyere, shredded), chives, puff pastry, eggs
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks
- 6 7 ounces pears peeled, cored, chopped (1 pear, firm but ripe)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten to blend (for glaze)
- 1. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; stir 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until leeks begin to brown, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- 2. Stir in pear and sugar. Increase heat to medium; saute uncovered until any liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; cool.
- 3. Stir in cheese and chives. Set aside.
- 4. Place puff pastry sheets on work surface. Using 4 1/2-inch-diameter tartlet-pan rim or bowl as aid, cut out 4 rounds from each pastry sheet. Roll out each pastry round to 5-inch circle.
- 5. Place leek mixture on half of each pastry round, dividing equally.
- 6. Brush pastry edges with egg glaze. Fold pastry over filling, pressing to adhere. Press edges with fork to seal.
- 7. Brush turnovers with egg glaze. Pierce pastry in several places with toothpick. Place on baking sheet. Chill 20 minutes or freeze until ready to bake.
- 8. Preheat oven to 400º
- 9. Bake turnovers until puffed and golden, about 18 minutes. Serve warm.