Penne Pasta with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
Pumpkin season is here again! Start the season off with this delicious creamy pumpkin pasta recipe that everyone will love! A twist on the traditional alfredo - gluten free, dairy free, egg free, vegan - allergen-free cooking taken to another level of flavor. You're gonna love it!
This recipe contains pasta (penne), milk (coconut), pumpkin (canned), cheese (cheddar, shredded), onions, salt (kosher), black pepper, nutmeg, maple syrup, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, parsley (fresh)
Serves 4-6 servings
Cook time: 15 min
- 2 1/2 boxes (20 ounces total) penne pasta or any type of pasta you like (I used De Boles Multi Grain Penne)
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, *made fresh or canned (will need about 16 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded style cheddar Daiya cheese
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus a couple of tablespoons for pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or non-dairy margarine like Earth Balance Soy Free Spread
- fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1. *I made fresh roasted pumpkin - halved, seeded, then place pumpkin (skin side up) on a parchment lined baking sheet, baked in the oven at 400 degrees for about 50-55 minutes. This was a large pumpkin.
- 2. If there are a lot of seeds in the pumpkin I put them on another parchment lined baking sheet and bake them for 15-20 minutes while I am cooking the pumpkin.
- 3. For the Pasta: Boil a large pot of water for the pasta.
- 4. When the water is at a rapid boil at a few tablespoons of kosher salt, then add the pasta, stir often to prevent sticking.
- 5. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Do not rinse under cold water as directed on the box to ensure pasta will cling onto the sauce.
- 6. While your pasta is cooking, set a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil and coconut oil, add onion, saute until soft and opaque. One to two minutes.
- 7. Add coconut milk, pumpkin, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- 8. Whisk vigorously or use a hand held immersion blender to blend until smooth, cook for 4-5 minutes.
- 9. Add maple syrup and Daiya cheese, stir until smooth. Take off the heat.
- 10. Pasta should be done by this step. Drain the pasta in a colander then transfer the pasta back into the big pot.
- 11. Add the alfredo sauce to the pasta and stir to coat all the pasta well.
- 12. Serve hot in pasta bowls, garnish with chopped parsley.