Pepped Up Porridge - Fruitty & Nutty
Give the humble porridge a new avatar! Have a nutritious and healthy breakfast of cooked broken wheat with a medley of fruits
This recipe contains , water, milk, fennel seeds, apples, papaya, bananas, mango, almonds, sugar
- 1/2 cup broken wheat or daliya/ dalia (I used the smaller grains)
- 2 cups water
- 350 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 11/2 tbsp apples, chopped
- 11/2 tbsp papaya, chopped
- 1 large banana, chopped
- 1 small mango
- 11/2 tbsp almonds (soaked overnight), chopped
- 11/2 tbsp sugar (or to taste) OR honey (to taste)
- 1. In a pan, roast the broken wheat till it becomes golden brown.
- 2. Add water to it and cook till it softens.
- 3. Add milk and fennel seeds.
- 4. Cook till milk and broken wheat are well incorporated and start to thicken just a little bit.
- 5. Add sugar to it and stir till for 10-15 seconds.
- 6. Remove from the fire and cool it.
- 7. Once cooled add the chopped fruit and almonds.
- 8. Note: I have never cooked broken wheat in an open pan. Rather to hasten the process of cooking, I have always used a pressure cooker. If you use a pressure cooker, ensure that you cook it on the lowest possible heat.
- 9. Note: I like the porridge slightly thick so I cook it for a little more duration than normal. Also, I love to load it with fruits...you can adjust the amount.
- 10. Note: You can prepare and refrigerate the porridge a day before and serve it cold the next morning.
- 11. Note: You can use any fruits of your choice. Strawberries go very well with this but I could use them since they are not in season here.
- 12. Note: For some extra flavour you can add a pinch of cinnamon powder or cardamom powder