pesto + manchego + marcona almond
This pesto is so delicious and so easy. The fresh basil is peppery and herbaceous, combined with that nuttiness from the almonds, and the delicious salty Manchego, all brought together by that full bodied extra virgin, I don't think there's anything better. It just goes to show you don't need to spend an entire day to make something sophisticated and awesome. You need about 15.
This recipe contains basil (fresh), cheese (manchego), olive oil, almonds, salt, black pepper
A little more than 1 cup servings
Prep time: 30 min
- 2 cups basil, loosely packed
- 3/4 Manchego Cheese
- 3/4 extra virgin olive oil, divided (1/4 cup + 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1. Soak almonds in water for fifteen minutes. Wash and dry basil leaves. Grate cheese.
- 2. In a food processor we're going to put our basil, the cheese, soaked almonds, little salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- 3. Process it on and off for thirty seconds.
- 4. Then drizzle in the rest of the olive oil while the food processor is on. This makes sure you get the optimal consistency for your likings.
- 5. When it's made fresh the oil tends to separate from the other ingredients. I suggest serving this after it's been in the refrigerator for an hour because the pesto rests and stays together better. There are many serving options.
- 6. Transfer it to a bowl and serve it with an assortment of cheeses and crostinis, or dress pasta with it, or marinade chicken, or, make a delicious manchego potato pesto pizza that's on my blog. And as always,