Phyllo pie with apples and pears
Delicious and easy to make.
This recipe contains cranberries (dried), rum, apples, pears, lemons, brown sugar, cinnamon, cornflour, butter, pastry sheets, sugar
8 - 10 servings servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 80g dried cranberries
- 5ml rum
- 4 apples
- 2 pears
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tbs Muscovado brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbs corn flour
- 70g butter, melted
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 80g sugar
- 1. Soak the cranberries in rum while preparing the fruit.
- 2. Wash, peel and cut into bite size pieces apples and pears.
- 3. Sprinkle with lemon and lemon zest, mix.
- 4. Sprinkle the fruit with Muscovado, cinnamon and corn flour, mix and combine.
- 5. Add cranberries and rum, mix and combine.
- 6. Grease with butter a 20 cm spring form pan.
- 7. Place the first phyllo sheet at the base of the form leaving parts of the sheet to hang over the pan edge.
- 8. Sprinkle the sheet with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Repeat this with the second sheet set across from the first one. Continue until all 4 sheets are used.
- 9. Fill the form with the fruit and cover it with the turned in edges of the first sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat until all the edges are used.
- 10. When the fruit is completely covered, butter the phyllo once more and liberally sprinkle with sugar.
- 11. Bake in preheated oven at 190˚C for 45 minutes. After the first 20 minutes cover the pie with the foil to avoid burning and continue baking for the next 25 minutes.
- 12. After baking, leave the cake to cool in the pan, then carefully remove it onto a serving platter. Serve lukewarm or completely cool.