My Sister's Soup: Creamy Curried Squash and Cauliflower Soup
This recipe includes a butternut squash, a delicata squash and a cauliflower for creamy goodness. The curry powder adds a little something special to this delicious soup!This recipe can easily be made as a vegan dish by using a vegan-based vegetable broth, butter and sour cream.
This recipe contains butternut squash, squash (delicata), cauliflower, vegetable stock, onions (yellow), garlic (minced), curry powder, butter, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, sour cream
6 Servings servings
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 small delicata squash
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock (enough to cover the vegetables once in the stock pot)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 or 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2. Slice the squash length wise and place face down in a casserole dish with about 1/4" water on the bottom. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender. Cool a bit, then when you can touch the squash, scoop out the seeds. Scoop the squash flesh into a bowl and set aside.
- 3. In a large stock pot, heat the butter and sauté the onions over low-to-medium heat until they’re translucent. Add the garlic, curry powder, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to the onion.
- 4. Add the squash and cauliflower into the pot along with the stock, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 5. Puree the squash and cauliflower (along with the liquid) in batches in a blender. Add a bit more stock (a little at a time) if you think the mixture is too thick.
- 6. Transfer the soup to bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream.