No Churn Mango Ice Cream
I’m cheap and have never invested in an ice cream maker, so when I decided I wanted to make my own ice cream, I relied on my trusty Nigella Lawson’s No Churn Pomegranate Ice Cream recipe. It was amazing. So I was inspired and got creative one day and improvised the recipe to make Mango Ice Cream. It was so easy and I used canned mangoes and they worked perfectly.For a step by step tutorial on how to make his dessert, go to http://www.storyofbing.com/2011/11/no-churn-mango-ice-cream/
This recipe contains heavy cream, powdered sugar, mango (juice), lime juice, mango (canned)
Prep time: 20 min
- 500ml heavy or double cream (48% fat)
- 1 & 1/3 cups icing sugar
- 3/4 cup thick mango juice/nectar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 can mango slices in syrup (410g)
- 1. Drain a can of mango slices.
- 2. Cut the mango slices into small bite size bits.
- 3. In a large bowl, add 500ml of 48% fat double cream. The fat content of the cream is really important. If the cream has too much fat, you’ll be making chilled butter. If it doesn’t have enough fat, the ice cream will be rock hard and icy.
- 4. The double cream in South Africa is 60% fat. So I used 250ml of that. And then added 250ml of regular whipping cream, which was 36% fat.
- 5. Add 1 & 1/3 cups of sugar. Don’t cut back on this, it’s already been reduced in sugar. Any less and you’ll have ice cream that doesn’t taste like dessert.
- 6. Use a really thick mango nectar or juice. If you can get pure mango juice, even better. Add 3/4 cup of mango juice to the cream.
- 7. Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
- 8. Whisk the mixture till it thickens. You want to beat till the mixture resembles melted ice cream. Liquidy but thick. Don’t overbeat! Else you’ll get butter instead of ice cream.
- 9. Add the chopped mango bits. Fold them in gently, adding as much air as you can in the process.
- 10. Pour the mixture into a large plastic or glass container. Create folds as you pour, trapping in even more air in the process.
- 11. Cover the container tightly and place in the freezer overnight.
- 12. Remove from freezer and let it rest in room temperature for a couple of minutes before scooping out to serve.