Noodle Free Eggplant and Spinach Lasagna
A delicious guilt free and carb free vegetarian lasagna. A tasty combination of eggplant and spinach mingles perfectly in this dish.
This recipe contains eggplant, fresh spinach, cheese (ricotta), basil (fresh), tomato paste, cheese (mozzarella, shredded), salt, oregano (dried)
4-6 servings servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2-3 small to medium eggplants
- 2 cups of fresh spinach (I used baby spinach)
- 1 15 ounce container of ricotta (I used part skim)
- Fresh basil (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small can of tomato paste (12 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or pizza cheese)
- Salt to taste
- Dry oregano (optional)
- 1. Wash and dry eggplant. Slice eggplant the long way. Sprinkle with salt and leave for a while. The longer the better 20 to 30 minutes is great. Do not rinse.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425. Roast eggplant for about 10 minutes per side.
- 3. Mix ricotta with chopped basil and oregano. Reserve about 1/3 for garnish.
- 4. Spread about 1/3 of the tomato paste in a square dish. Top with eggplant and 1/2 the ricotta mixture. Top with spinach. Add more ricotta. Add another layer of eggplant. Top with remaining tomato paste. Bake at 375 uncovered about 15 minutes.
- 5. Cover with foil. Cook another 15 minutes.
- 6. Top with shredded cheese. Cook about 3-5 minutes till cheese melts. Garnish with remaining basil and cook a few more minutes.