Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
My friend, Eka from Auckland makes the most delicious pineapple upside down cake. When she handed me her recipe, I decided to modify it to make cupcakes instead.Every pineapple upside down cupcake is like a burst of sunshine on the plate. Your guests will love it! For a step by step tutorial on how to make these cakes, go to - http://www.storyofbing.com/2011/10/pineapple-upside-down-cupcakes/
This recipe contains , butter, sugar (brown), pineapple (canned, sliced), maraschino cherries, xxxxxx, butter, sugar (caster), eggs, vanilla extract, flour, baking powder, milk
10 cupcakes servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 25 min
- For the base -
- 50g salted butter softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 10 canned pineapple rings, drained
- 10 glaced cherries
- For the cake -
- 125g salted butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1. Begin by preheating oven to 180°C.
- 2. Place 50g of softened salted butter in a bowl. Make sure the butter is not cold from the fridge. Keep it in a warm place for an hour and it will be nicely soft.
- 3. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- 4. Mix the sugar and butter well. Until they look like breadcrumbs.
- 5. Drain the pineapple rings from the juice.
- 6. Grease a jumbo cupcake pan. Each cupcake dish should hold 1 pineapple ring comfortably.
- 7. Place about a teaspoon of the butter-brown sugar mixture in each cupcake dish and press the mixture down.
- 8. Place a pineapple ring on top of every layer of butter-brown sugar mixture.
- 9. Add a glaced cherry to each cupcake dish.
- 10. Set the cupcake pan aside.
- 11. In a large mixing bowl, add 125g of softened salted butter.
- 12. Cream it until it’s a mushy pile.
- 13. Add 2/3 cup caster sugar.
- 14. Cream the sugar and butter well. Make sure they are well combined.
- 15. Add 2 large eggs. Mix well.
- 16. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 17. Add 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- 18. Add 1/2 cup of whole milk. Mix well.
- 19. Add 1.5 cups of plain flour.
- 20. Mix well to combine.
- 21. When the ingredients are well combined and the batter is ready, measure an equal portion of batter for each cupcake. I usually use a small ice cream scoop for this.
- 22. Add the batter to the cupcake pans. The batter should reach about 3 to 4mm short of the top in the cupcake pan. DO NOT OVERFILL.
- 23. Ensure all the cupcake dishes are filled.
- 24. Place in the oven and bake at 180°C for 20-25mins. Watch the cupcakes. They are done when the tops are golden brown.
- 25. You can check if the cupcakes are done by inserting a skewer stick or knife in the centre of a cupcake. If it comes out clean, then it’s done.
- 26. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes.
- 27. While they are still warm, use a very sharp knife or bread knife and slice the tops of the cupcakes off. You can eat the tops and do a taste test here or discard them.
- 28. Run a thin knife around each cupcake in the pan if you think they are stuck to the pan.
- 29. Plan a large baking tray over the cupcake pan. And quickly invert over.
- 30. When you lift up the cupcake pan, the cupcakes should look like this -
- 31. Here’s a trick to make them really good -
- 32. Immediately transfer these cakes to a large dish. Cover the dish with very tight cling wrap and keep the cupcakes in a warm place (i.e. 50°C) for a couple of hours or until you are ready to serve.
- 33. This extra steaming process makes the cake super soft and moist.