Pink-blush duck breast with crispy, crackling top, done home sous-vide style
Enjoy French cooking at home without investing in restaurant equipment.
This recipe has also been featured on Asian Food Channel.
Go to http://extravirginchef.blogspot.com/2012/02/best-duck-breast-in-world.html for a step-by-step photo tutorial.
This recipe contains duck breasts, sea salt, black pepper, fresh thyme
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 1 hr 10 min
- 2 duck breasts
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme
- 1. Score duck breast, then rub sea salt and pepper all over. Sprinkle some fresh thyme if you have.
- 2. Keep in an airtight plastic bag and leave it in the fridge for one hour.
- 3. Set up water in a heavy pot and bring water temperature to 55 degrees C or 135 degrees F. Place thermometer to monitor and regulate. Keep in between 55-60 C or 135-140 F.
- 4. Place bag of duck breast into water. It should sink if there is no air bubbles in the bag.
- 5. Cook for an hour, maintaining the same temperature range.
- 6. Remove and pat very dry.
- 7. Apply a second coat of salt and pepper.
- 8. Place breast, skin side down, on a hot grill pan and cook for 5 minutes to get crispy, golden brown skin that crackles.
- 9. Turn it over to find the most beautiful duck breast and cook for another 1 minute.
- 10. Remove and serve with fresh greens.