Pita Pizza with Butternut Squash, Kale, Feta & Walnuts
A healthy fall/winter treat: Pita pizza with butternut squash, kale, feta & walnuts
This recipe contains , kale, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, nutmeg, salt, , bread (pita), olive oil, cheese (feta), butternut squash, kale, walnuts, black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
- Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Vinegar:
- 1 pkg(s) 6oz. head of kale, chopped with stems removed
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. vinegar (any kind I used balsamic here)
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove, minced
- 1 ds. nutmeg
- 1 ds. salt
- 1 whole whole wheat pita bread round
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup(s) butternut squash, cubed (I recommend buying it already chopped saves time and hassle)
- 1/2 cup(s) sauteed kale
- 1 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
- 1 ds. pepper
- 1. Pour the olive oil into a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the kale and garlic to the hot pan, then add the vinegar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Sautee until the kale wilts down and darkens in color.
- 2. Steam or boil the butternut squash for 5-8 minutes until you can easily pierce it with a fork. Set aside.
- 3. To make the pita a little bit crispy, using a pair of tongs, place it right over the flame on your stovetop burner. Move it around and flip it constantly, being careful not to burn it. It should only take 1-2 minutes to get warm and crispy.
- 4. Place the pita on a greased baking sheet and brush on the olive oil. Top with one tablespoon of the feta crumbles.
- 5. Add the kale and butternut squash cubes. Top with the other tablespoon of feta and the walnuts.
- 6. Place the baking sheet on the top shelf of your oven and broil for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to warm it up and slightly melt the cheese. You may also bake it at 450 degrees for 5 minutes.