A beautiful simple dessert absolutely perfect for a dinner party. Use that bottle of wine that's been collecting dust in the back of your cupboard (you know the one) - it will work great in this classic dish!
This recipe contains pears, wine (red), sugar, , heavy cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger (ground), thyme
Cook time: 40 min
- 4 pears (peeled, halved & cored)
- 1 bottle of wine (which ever kind you like)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
- aromatics - vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, thyme, orange, juniper, etc. - use what you like & be creative!
- fresh whip cream or ice cream
- vanilla extract
- ground ginger
- 1. Place wine, aromatics, 1/2 cup of sugar & pears into a pot. Bring up to a simmer for 10-20 minutes depending on size of the pears.
- 2. When a fork slips into pears easily remove from heat & allow to cool in liquid.
- 3. Once tepid - place the pears in to the fridge, leaving the juices in the pan.
- 4. Continue cooking the liquid until reduced by half and forms a syrup. Taste the syrup - if its tart add a bit more sugar.
- 5. Allow the syrup to cool once desired consistency is achieved. Strain out aromatics.
- 6. Server syrup drizzled over pears with a scoop of gelato or whip cream!