Porridge with Apple and Cinnamon
Easy to make, healthy and a great spicy twist on the classic porridge.
This recipe contains , oats, water, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract, , honey, milk, , water, apples
Cook time: 10 min
- 200gr / 7 oz. porridge oats
- 400ml / 13.5 fl. oz. water
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (or to taste)
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tbsp of apple compote
- 4 x tsp of honey
- 8 x tbsp of milk
- For the Apple Compote
- 150 ml / 5 fl. oz. water
- 4 x medium apples peeled, cored and roughly diced
- 1. For the Porridge
- 2. 1.Place the water, oats, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a non stick pan, and put on a high heat and bring to a boil.
- 3. 2.Turn down to a medium high heat and stir with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until the oats soften and the mixture takes on a creamy texture. You can keep cooking and the mixture will become thicker if you prefer.
- 4. 3.Divide into bowls, drizzle over the honey and the milk and add a spoonful or so of the apple compote to each serving
- 5. For the Apple Compote
- 6. 1.Place the apples, water and cinnamon in a heavy bottomed pan, bring to the boil, then allow to simmer until the apples are soft.
- 7. 2.Mash with a fork for a rougher texture or liquidize it with a hand mixer for a smooth result
- 8. 3.As well as serving this with porridge it goes great with meat, especially pork or roast chicken.