Potato, zucchini, red bell pepper, with bacon and herbs baked in a pot.
The potato baked with zucchini (squash), red bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic and some meat is popular in Eastern Europe. (It’s cooked in Poland and Hungary, in Ukraine and Czech Republic) In each region it has a different twist though. Even in my family it’s cooked differently. I like to experiment. I cook it with meatballs and sometimes with meat (beef, pork or chicken); I cook it even with bacon.The beauty of this recipe that it’s impossible to spoil, seriously, if you aren’t the perfect cook or if you are just short of time (and guests are about to arrive) this dish will just save you.
This recipe contains potatoes, bell peppers (red), white onions, zucchini, carrots, fresh garlic, fresh dill, fresh parsley, sour cream, salt, pepper, bacon, cheese (cheddar, shredded), water, olive oil
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 6 big potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 1 mid-sized zucchini
- 2 mid-sized carrots
- 2 garlic
- 1/2 cup(s) dill
- 1/3 cup(s) parsley (optional)
- 3 tbsp. sour cream or mayo
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) sliced bacon
- 3/4 cup(s) shredded cheese
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1. potatoes, red bell pepper, onion and carrots are the base of this recipe. Everything else is a mix and match. You can substitute zucchini with squash or eggplant. You can put any meat or sausage in the pots, you can even cook it without any meat. It’s a win-win recipe.
- 2. Peel potato, carrot, garlic and onion. Take the seeds out of pepper.
- 3. Wash all the veggies: carrot, onion, zucchini, potatoes, garlic and dill (parsley).
- 4. Shred the carrot, chop the onion and pepper, cut in mid-sized pieces potato, zucchini, chop the herbs
- 5. Set ½ of onion and carrot aside
- 6. Mix everything else: onion and potato, zucchini and carrot, herbs. Add salt and pepper.
- 7. Slice the bacon. (If you put the other meat: pork, chicken, beef- prepare it).
- 8. Take your baking pots: put bacon (or other meat on the bottom), then add your veggies.
- 9. Remember you set aside the onion and some carrot. Take it and braise it for 5 minutes in a frying pan. In 5 minutes add some sour cream / or mayo/ and add 1 cup of water, pinch of salt and pepper, braise for 2-3 min.
- 11. Pour the sauce you just cooked into the baking pots. (If you want to add the meatballs instead of bacon or any other meat put them on top of the veggies)
- 12. Preheat the oven at 375F. Set your pots to bake for 30-45 minutes. (Occasionally check the potato if it’s ready and check if there’s enough water in your pots).
- 13. 15 minutes before taking the pots out- finely chop the garlic and put a little bit of garlic in each pot. When you turn the oven off add the cheese on top of your baked dish and close the lids let the cheese melt. Be careful when taking the pots out as they are hot.
- . I serve the dish directly in the pots, but give the guests a spoon and a plate, if the guest wishes to eat from the plate and not the pot.
- . ***Tip from Helen*** You can cook this dish in a baking dish, but I like separate small baking pots more, they are just more authentic and fun! Enjoy your summer delicious baked veggies!