Prawn and Fennel Filo Pastry
A delicious prawn and fennel wrapped with filo pastry!
This recipe contains phyllo dough, oil (sunflower), prawns, fennel bulb, onions (red), garlic, fennel seed, salt, peppercorns (black), cream, butter, crushed red pepper, white vinegar
3 parcels servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 15 sheets filo pastry
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g prawns (deshelled and cleaned)
- 1 fennel, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper corns, crushed
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp crushed dried chilli
- 1 tbsp white vineger
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C
- 2. In a pan, on medium high heat, add in the onion, butter fennel and garlic and allow to go golden.
- 3. Now add the prawns, salt, vinegar, pepper and fennel seeds and turn down the heat to medium and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 4. Finally add the cream and the chilli and mix in thoroughly. Allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, take your filo sheets – take one and use a pastry brush to butter on the sunflower oil from edge to edge. Now place another sheet on top. Do this with 5 sheets. Now add a third of the prawn mixture into the centre (or less if the filo sheets are small) and oil the outer parts of the filo sheets. Bring the filo together like in the photos and tie with string to secure. Do this 2 more times until you have 3 parcels.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes
- 7. Eat with a nice chilli sauce (of your choice)