Pumpkin Coffee Cake
My son described this as a pumpkin pie wrapped in a cinnamon roll. I think I would concur. But in any case this coffee cake is absolutely perfect for an Autumn treat.
This recipe contains , eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (ground), cloves (ground), , all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, sour cream, , brown sugar, butter, ground cinnamon, pecans
16-20 servings servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- For the filling:
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/16 tsp ginger
- 1/16 tsp cloves
- For the cake:
- 2 c flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 c) room temperature butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c sour cream
- For the topping:
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c cold butter that is cut up ,
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c pecans
- 1. To begin, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Butter or grease a 9x13 inch cake pan, and set it aside.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg, pumpkin puree, 1/2 c sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and about 1/16 teaspoon each of ginger and cloves.. Whisk those until smooth, and set it aside.
- 3. In another bowl, stir together 2 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, and a teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder. Set that aside as well.
- 4. In your mixing bowl, beat together 3 eggs, 1 stick (1/2 c) room temperature butter and a teaspoon of vanilla. Beat them until smooth.
- 5. Mix half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Once it is combined, mix in a cup of sour cream.
- 6. Finish off with mixing in the remaining flour mixture. Combine these until jut mixed, making sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 7. Spread half of the cake batter in the bottom of your cake pan. Then carefully spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of it.
- 8. Spoon the remaining cake batter over the top of the pumpkin, and gently spread it out as best you can. You may have a little pumpkin peeking through, that that is quite okay.
- 9. Now for the final touch. In a food processor, combine 1 c brown sugar, 1/3 c cold butter that is cut up, a teaspoon & a half of cinnamon, and half a cup of pecans. Pulse the ingredients together a few times until crumbly and combined.
- 10. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the cake.
- 11. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake tests as done in the center with a toothpick.
- 12. Allow it to cool to near room temperature. Enjoy with a cup of coffee...it is coffee cake after all!
- 13. Serving number dependant upon how you cut the cake.