This delicious Mexican appetizer is made with melted Monterey Jack cheese with sautéed mushrooms and onions, pasilla chiles, and topped with chorizo and chipotle chile. Serve with corn or flour tortillas. It's the perfect appetizer for Cinco de Mayo!
This recipe contains cheese (monterey jack, shredded), flour (all-purpose), sausage (chorizo), onions, mushrooms, chiles, beer (lager), salsa, cilantro, tortillas (corn)
6-8 servings servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 12 ounces coarsely grated Monterey Jack
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 4-ounce link fresh chorizo or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pasilla chiles, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup lager
- Fresh cilantro, leaves only
- Fresh corn or flour tortillas
- 1. Toss cheese with flour in a medium bowl. Cook chorizo in a medium saucepan over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to render, about 1 minute. Add onion, mushrooms and chiles and continue cooking until chorizo is cooked and onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Transfer chorizo mixture to a small bowl; return saucepan to heat. Add beer; simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits. Whisking constantly, add cheese mixture a 1/4-cupful at a time, allowing it to become blended and smooth between additions. Stir in chorizo mixture.
- 3. Top with your favorite brand of chipotle salsa and fresh cilantro. Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas.