Quiche with Swiss Chard and Mushroom
Delicious quiche with Swiss chard, mushrooms and aged gouda cheese.
This recipe contains eggs, heavy cream, mushrooms (white), red onions, butter, chard, salt, gouda, butter, nutmeg, pie crust, black pepper
5-7 servings servings
Cook time: 1 hr
- 3 large pastured organic eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces white or crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces Swiss chard leaves (no stems), chopped
- salt to taste
- 5 ounces Prima Donna aged Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- dash nutmeg
- 1 prepared pie crust or quiche pastry dough
- pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2. Beat room temperature eggs with heavy cream in a small bowl.
- 3. Place pie crust in a deep-dish glass pie plate and crimp edges.
- 4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saute pan and cook mushroom ond shallot until browned.
- 5. Season vegetables to taste with salt and pepper and stir in chopped chard leaves, cooking only long enough to allow them to wilt; cool mixture.
- 6. Sprinkle about 2 ounces of the cheese in the bottom of the pie crust and spread vegetables over that, then top with remaining cheese.
- 7. Pour the custard (cream and egg) mixture over all.
- 8. Make sure the cheese and vegetables are covered or wet with the custard mixture.
- 9. Dot with butter pieces and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- 10. Bake quiche uncovered, in a preheated oven, for about 45 minutes or until domed and puffy and custard is set.
- 11. Allow to sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving.