quinoa with shrimp
A quick, easy and healthy weeknight meal idea.
This recipe contains onions, bell peppers (red), celery, garlic, lemons, basil (fresh), crushed red pepper, tomatoes (diced), vegetable stock, quinoa, shrimp, olive oil, salt, black pepper
4 dinner sized servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- medium sized onion, cut into small dice
- red pepper (or whatever colour you have on hand), diced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flake (more or less, depending on your tastes)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup veggie stock
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 454 gram bag of shrimp (I use 26/30 sized, thawed, deveined, peeled and cut in half)
- olive oil
- 1. Heat some oil in a frying pan (roughly a tablespoon should do it).
- 2. Saute onion, red pepper and celery until softened.
- 3. Add garlic, lemon zest, basil, red chili flake and give it a quick stir.
- 4. Add lemon juice, veggie stock and canned tomatoes.
- 5. Once simmering, add quinoa, stir, bring to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- 6. Let simmer until quinoa is cooked, somewhere around 20 minutes. You want the final product to be a bit saucy so if it seems a bit thick, add a touch of broth to loosen it up.
- 7. When quinoa is cooked, add the shrimp and stir until cooked through.
- 8. Season with salt & pepper and serve.