Quinoa-Stuffed Poblano Chiles
Poblano chilies stuffed with a tasty mixture and topped with shredded reduced-fat sharp-cheddar cheese. It doesn't get much tastier or healthier than this!
This recipe contains peppers (poblano), water, quinoa, cooking spray, bell peppers (green), bell peppers (red), onions, peppers (jalapeno), garlic (fresh), pumpkin seeds, onions (green/spring), cilantro, soy sauce, lime juice, juice (tomato), cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded)
4 servings servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 4 (5-inch) poblano chilies
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkinseed kernels
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp-cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- 2. Cut chilies in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Set aside. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 13 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- 3. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium- high heat until hot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add pumpkin seed kernels; saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in quinoa, green onions, cilantro, soy sauce, and lime juice. Spoon 1/3-cup quinoa mixture into each Chile half.
- 4. Pour tomato juice into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; place stuffed chiles in dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over chilies. Bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese, melts and the chilies are thoroughly heated. Spoon tomato juice over chilies.