Romanian Pea and Chicken Stew
Sweet peas and tender chicken pieces in a delicious tomato gravy and topped with lots of dill, Romanian pea and chicken stew just like my grandmother used to make
This recipe contains oil (vegetable), onions, tomato paste, peas (green, frozen), chicken broth, chicken breasts, cornstarch, dill (fresh), salt, black pepper, sugar
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 whole large onion
- 1 tbsp. very heaped tomato paste
- 2 1/8 lb. frozen peas
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 lb. chicken breast (see note)
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 whole bunch of fresh dill or chopped frozen dill
- 1 ds. salt
- 1 ds. pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar, optional
- 1. Heat the oil in a pot. Chop the onion finely and cook until translucent. Add the tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
- 2. Add the frozen peas to the pot, cover barely with vegetable or chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- 3. In the meantime chop the chicken breasts into small cubes. Add them to the pan and cook everything for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Don't overcook the chicken.
- 4. Mix the corn starch with a few tablespoons of cold water to obtain a paste. Make a little place in the middle of the pan by pushing the peas away as much as possible and pour the corn starch paste in a thin stream while whisking all the time with a small whisk.
- 5. Stir everything very well and let bubble for 1 minute. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and maybe some sugar. Add the finely chopped dill.
- 6. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 7. Note: you can use the flesh from one chicken cooked to make broth. In this case, chop it into small cubes and add it during the last minutes of cooking, it just needs to be heated up.