Rotolo di Carne
Here is another wonderful dish that my mom shared with me and that I am sharing with all of you. I was able to taste this dish both ways: hot and cold. Love it cold. The Fontina cheese may be replaced with Provolone. Do not use American cheese as it will melt too much and not stay put in the “Rotolo”. It is important the if you choose to eat it cold, the meat is wrapped immediately and placed in the refrigerator. By doing such all the juices will stay put and keep the meat nice and tender. Fresh spinach make all the difference in the flavor. We had it with roasted carrots and potatoes with a green salad. A great glass of Chardonnay is perfect if served cold. Cabernet if hot. Enjoy.
This recipe contains steak (flat iron), eggs, spinach, cheese (parmesan), ham, cheese (fontina), bell peppers (red), salt, black pepper
4 - 4 Servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 - 2 lb. flat iron steak, butterflied
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 lb. fresh spinach, steamed
- 1/3 cup(s) parmesan cheese
- 2 - 3 slice(s) slices ham
- 4 whole slices fontina cheese
- 1 whole red bell pepper, or orange, or yellow, sliced and all the seeds removed
- 1 ds. salt
- 1 ds. black pepper
- 1. Have the butcher butterfly the flat iron steak. When butterflied lay it our flat and pound it more to make it even more flat.
- 2. Scramble the eggs and cook them as you would a very fine crepe. Set aside.
- 3. Steamed the spinach for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- 4. The dish is prepared on layers:
- 5. Start with the flat iron steak flat, season with salt and pepper.
- 6. Add a layer of the eggs scramble, steamed spinach and season with salt and pepper. A thin layer of Parmiggiano Reggiano. A layer of the ham slices, top it with the Fontina cheese. Last layer with the bell peppers.
- 7. Roll it up very tight and tied with cooking string. Season the outside with salt and pepper.
- 8. In a large pan, add some oil and warm over medium high heat. Sear the
- 9. Rotolo on all sides, around 30 minutes.
- 10. When done wrap it, seal it and place it in the refrigerator so all the juices will stay in the meat. When cold, slice and serve with a green salad, artichokes hearts, carrots or roasted potatoes.
- 11. If eaten hot, must eat immediately after cooking.