Red Curry Stew & Vegetable Noodles
Who doesn’t love a curry? This bright vegan dish is filled with mixed vegetable noodles and topped with a light red curry stew.
This recipe contains carrots, squash (yellow), zucchini, tofu (firm), olive oil, onions (red), fresh ginger, fresh garlic, red curry paste, potatoes, vegetable stock, milk (coconut), cabbage, fish sauce, lime juice, sea salt, basil (fresh), sesame seeds
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 2 whole large carrots, peeled
- 1 whole medium yellow squash
- 2 whole medium zucchini
- 1 pkg(s) 14oz. package of firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 whole large red onion, chopped
- 1 whole inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced or pressed
- 5 tsp. red curry paste
- 1 whole large potato, peeled and diced (~11 oz/~310g)
- 4 cup(s) vegetable stock
- 1 cup(s) light coconut milk
- 1/2 whole head cabbage, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sea salt
- 8 whole large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. black or tuxedo sesame seeds (optional)
- 1. Make vegetable noodles with the carrots, yellow squash, and zucchini with a julienne peeler. Place all the noodles into a medium-sized bowl, and mix them together. Set aside. Chop up the parts of the vegetable that were not cut by the julienne peeler. Save it for the stew.
- 2. Drain the water from the tofu package and rinse the tofu. Chop the tofu into smaller cubes, and set aside.
- 3. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once the pot is heated, pour in the diced onions and ginger. Sauté them for about 2 minutes, or until the onions turn translucent. Next, add the minced garlic, curry paste, diced potatoes, chopped carrots, and stir everything together.
- 4. Add the vegetable stock and cover the pot with a lid. Once the stock starts boiling, add the coconut milk, cabbage, and chopped summer squash, stir, and wait for the water to start boiling again. Once the stew boils, season with fish sauce, lime juice, and sea salt. Check to see if the potatoes are fully cooked by piercing a fork into a piece of potato. If the fork can go through it easily, they're ready.
- 5. Turn off the heat, and add the chopped basil. You can also save some for garnish.
- 6. In a bowl, put about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of the vegetable noodles on the bottom, and pour the stew on top. Sprinkle black sesame seeds for garnish.
- 7. Refrigerate leftover noodles in a separate container from the stew.