Red Tomato Chutney
Tangy, sweet, sour, easy to make delicious chutney.
This recipe contains tomatoes, onions (white), apples, red wine vinegar, sugar (brown), raisins (golden), ginger (ground), cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt
1.2 kg servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1.2kg / 2.6 lb tomatoes chopped finely
- 500gr / 1.1 lb white onions, finely chopped
- 500gr / 1.1 lb apples (I often use Elstar), core removed, diced (I leave the skin on) or grated
- 500ml / 1 pt U.S / 0.8 pt U.K red wine vinegar
- 400gr / 14 oz. dark brown sugar
- 350gr / 12 oz. sultanas
- 3 x tsp ground ginger
- 3 x tsp cinnamon
- 1 x tsp nutmeg
- 1 x tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1. Place the tomatoes, onions, apples and red wine vinegar in a large heavy bottomed pan and simmer until tender.
- 2. Add the sugar and simmer it gently over a medium / low heat until it dissolves.
- 3. Add the sultanas and the seasonings stir through and simmer until the chutney thickens to a syrupy consistency.
- 4. Allow to cool and spoon into sterile jars.