Red Wine & Worcestershire Sautéed Squash, Sweet Potato & Chard with Quinoa
Zucchini and yellow squash, sweet potato and rainbow chard sauteed in red wine and worcestershire sauce, served with quinoa. LOADED with nutrients and great flavor!
This recipe contains sweet potatoes, onions, chard, leeks, zucchini, squash (yellow), vegetable stock, red wine, worcestershire, salt, quinoa, water
4 heaping servings servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1/2 sweet potato, peel on, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 2 stalks chard, stems separated from leaves and chopped)
- 1/2 leek, sliced down the middle and chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 1 zucchini squash, sliced lengthwise then chopped 1/4" thick
- 1 yellow squash, sliced lengthwise then chopped 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1. In a medium saucepan, boil 2 cups of water for every one cup of quinoa you are making. Follow the directions on the back of your quinoa package. I bring water to a boil, add the quinoa, then simmer for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- 2. Clean all vegetables thoroughly. In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the sweet potato and chard stems.
- 3. Sauté about 5 minutes before adding the onion.
- 4. Continue to sauté – the vegetables should begin to sizzle and when they do, begin adding vegetable stock, about 1 tablespoon – just enough to boil and create steam.
- 5. Continue to add small amounts of vegetable stock and red wine when the liquid burns off and the sound of the sizzle dies down. After about 12 minutes of this, check the “done-ness” of the sweet potato…it should be al dente by now and not cooked all the way through.
- 6. Add the leek and sauté about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7. Add all of the squash. Pour in the last remaining vegetable stock and red wine (there should only be a little left, if any) and add about a tablespoon of Worcestershire. Saute an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- 8. Finally, add the chopped chard leaves and sauté only about an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute – just long enough for the leaves to soften slightly. Add the remaining Worcestershire sauce
- 9. Serve a heaping portion of sautéed veggies on top of quinoa. Add salt and hot sauce to taste and enjoy your nutritious meal!