Retro Russian Ice Cream
This Retro Russian Ice Cream Plombir was a classic among ice creams years back in Russia and neighboring countries.
This recipe contains sugar (caster), sugar (vanilla), whipping cream, heavy cream, eggs
Cook time: 15 min
- 75g (2.6oz) Caster Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Sugar
- 200ml (6.8fl oz) Fresh Cream
- 500ml (17fl oz) Heavy Cream
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1. Mix the yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar using a wooden spoon.
- 2. Pour the fresh cream in a sauce pan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Take it off the heat. Pour the cream into the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- 3. Transfer back in the sauce pan and stir constantly on medium heat until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- 4. Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and let it cool down before placing it in the fridge for several hours (or overnight).
- 5. Whip the heavy cream until thick. Add the whipped cream to the chilled cream mixture and using electric mixer mix until combined.
- 6. Transfer in a container, cover with lid and freeze for 45-50 minutes. After 45-50 minutes take the container out and mix it with hand mixer for a minute.
- 7. Repeat 2-3 times (every 45-50 minutes). Afterwards, leave it in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 8. Serve in bowls, cones, cups or with a slice of your favorite pie!