Rhubarb Dream Bars
Crisp, buttery, biscuit base with soft, juicy rhubarb and an almost sponge layer on top. A fantastic way to use up some of your rhubarb mountain!
This recipe contains , flour, sugar (powdered, confectioners), butter, , eggs, sugar (caster), flour (self-rising), salt, rhubarb
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
- For the base
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter.
- For the fruit layer
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 cups rhubarb, finely sliced
- 1. Line a 8" square baking tin with parchment paper so that the paper extends beyond the sides of the baking tin (to make it easy to remove the cake) and lightly grease with butter.
- 2. Add the flour, icing sugar and butter for the base together in a food processor and whizz until thoroughly mixed and looking like fine breadcrumbs.
- 3. Tip the mix into the baking tin and press firmly with the back of a spoon until the base is smoothly covered.
- 4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180degC/350degF/Gas4 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. While the base is baking, mix up the fruit layer. Place the eggs, sugar, flour and salt into a bowl and beat until well blended. Add the rhubarb and mix through.
- 6. As soon as the base is baked and removed from the oven - and while it is still hot - pour the fruit layer on top and quickly level it.
- 7. Replace into the oven for another 35-40 minutes.
- 8. Cool and cut into 12 bars.