Rice & Bean Burrito with Homemade Tortilla
Mexican does not have to be a guilty pleasure; it can be incredibly flavorful, fresh and a healthy meal. Brown rice, beans, salsa, fresh cilantro and a little shredded cheese all wrapped up in a homemade whole wheat tortilla. The tortilla is very similar to a crepe batter, very thin and a bit delicate. To top it off a simple tomato avocado salad.
This recipe contains , flour (whole wheat), garlic powder, salt, black pepper, eggs, water, , rice (brown, instant), beans (kidney), salsa, cheese (monterey jack), , cilantro, avocados, tomatoes (roma), olives (black), limes
approx 8 servings
Cook time: 30 min
- For the tortilla:
- 1 cup whole whole grain whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups water
- For the filling:
- 1 bag instant brown rice, cooked and drained
- 1 can black or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- a handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 2 plum tomatoes
- black olives
- lime juice
- 1. Stir all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. In a bowl mix together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add in the egg whites and water and whisk until smooth.
- 3. This is just like making a crepe. Using a non stick pan with a spritz of non stick spray, over medium low heat, pour about a 1/4 cup of the batter into the center of the pan. Holding the handle of the pan, immediately begin to rotate your wrist to quickly move the batter around the pan. Don't stress about getting it perfectly round. Flip over and cook on the other side. Continue until all the batter is used.
- 4. Lay each tortilla out and scoop some of the filling onto the end closest to you. Fold the end over the filling then fold the sides in. Roll all the way up then place seam side down into a baking dish.
- 5. Pop into a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes to warm through.
- 6. For the fresh cold salad to top the burritos with... 2 diced plum tomato, 1 diced avocado, 1 Tbsp sliced olives, fresh cilantro & fresh lime juice.