Risotto with Garlicky Swiss Chard and Fontina
Garlicky sauteed Swiss Chard and Fontina cheese, stirred into creamy Parmesan risotto.
This recipe contains salt, black pepper, chicken broth, water, chard, olive oil, fresh garlic, unsalted butter, onions, arborio rice, white wine dry, cheese (parmesan), lemons, fontina cheese
serves 4 as a main course, 6-8 as a side dish servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 3 1/2 c. (2 cans) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 c. water
- 1 large bunch of Swiss chard, stems removed and chopped fine, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 T. unsalted butter
- 1 med onion, chopped fine
- 2 c. Arborio rice
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 T. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 oz. Fontina cheese, cut into small 1/4-inch cubes
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth and water to a boil. Cover and set aside.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until oil shimmers, add chard stems and a pinch of salt. Saute, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Add chard leaves and cook until wilted down, about 5 minutes more. Add the minced garlic about a minute before the chard is done, stirring constantly until fragrant. Remove from heat, cover and set aside while preparing the risotto.
- 3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a couple pinches of salt. Cook onion, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 7-10 minutes. Add the rice, cook, stirring often until the edges of the rice start to become translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the wine, cook and stir until completely evaporated. Add half the broth/water mixture, cook stirring often (about every 3 minutes) until completely evaporated. Continue ladling in the liquid about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until evaporated, and repeating this process, until the rice is tender and creamy. Then add in the Parmesan and lemon juice, stir well. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- 4. Gently fold in the Swiss chard and Fontina. Serve immediately
- 5. *This recipe can be easily made gluten-free, if you make sure your broth is a gluten-free brand.