Roasted Beetroot & Crispy Chickpeas
Delicious and healthy appetizer or light meal featuring roasted beetroots, crisp and spicy chickpeas, Greek yogurt and harissa
This recipe contains beets, chickpeas, olive oil, sumac, cumin, thyme, sesame seed, salt, greek yogurt, lemons, lemons, harissa, mint (fresh), olive oil
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 medium beets (mine were just a bit smaller than my fist)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250 g/ 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon harissa paste (more or less to taste)
- mint leaves to garnish
- olive oil to drizzle
- 1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/ 430 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Scrub the beetroots very thoroughly, dry them and cut them into wedges. Spread the drained chickpeas and the beetroot wedges on a large baking tray, add the olive oil and mix well with your hands.
- 3. In a small bowl mix together the sumac, cumin, thyme, sesame seeds and salt. Add half of this mixture to the beetroots and the chickpeas and mix again very thoroughly. Roast for about 25-30 or until crisp at the edges. Check towards the end of the roasting time, so that the chickpeas will not turn black. They should be nicely crisped and the beetroots should be a bit softer, but not really soft or mushy, they should still have quite a strong bite.
- 4. In the meantime mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and zest and about 1 teaspoon of the remaining spice mixture. Swirl the harissa through and spread the yogurt on a serving platter. Top with the beetroot wedges, chickpeas and mint leaves. Drizzle a little olive oil on top and sprinkle with a pinch of the spice mixture.
- 5. Enjoy with some crisp bread.