Roasting the beets causes them to carmelize and become soft inside with a nice crunch on the outside.
This recipe contains beets (golden), beets, onions, onions (red), cooking spray, salt (sea)
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side. servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 3 golden beets
- 5 red beets
- 1 large yellow onion, wedged
- 1 large red onion, wedged
- olive oil spray
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2. Spray 1 or 2 baking pans with olive oil spray.
- 3. Gently scrub beets to remove all dirt. Cut off the greens and set aside to use another time (unless you already used them!).
- 4. Trim off ends and any spots. If preferred, peel, but you do not need to as long as you scrubbed them well and cut out any blemishes.
- 5. Cut beets into wedges of similar thickness (they do not need to be the same length).
- 6. Arrange along with the onions in one even layer on baking pans and spray again.
- 7. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- 8. Depending on the thickness of your wedges, they may need to roast longer. If so, keep an eye on the onions, as they may roast slightly faster than beets.
- 9. Serve immediately.