Roasted Brussels Sprouts with glazed pancetta and pecans
The combination of salty, sweet, and crunchy in this brussels sprouts side dish is heavenly!! An easy side dish your Thanksgiving guests will be thankful for!
This recipe contains brussel sprouts, coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, pancetta, rosemary (fresh), shallots, pecans (chopped), olive oil, salt, black pepper
Serves 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- about 3 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, remove damaged outer leaves and stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- scant 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 8 ounces GF DF pancetta (I use Framani)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 handfuls chopped pecan bits (roasted or raw)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1. For roasting brussels sprouts:
- 2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 Celsius).
- 3. Prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- 4. For some crispy chip-like sprout leaves: pull off some outer, thicker leaves, about a heaping handfuls worth and place on baking sheet.
- 5. Cut the whole sprouts in half, lengthwise.
- 6. Transfer onto baking sheets, spread out in a single layer without crowding (to prevent steaming).
- 7. Evenly sprinkle about two good pinches of kosher salt (about 1 teaspoon total) over the brussels sprouts then about 1 pinch of crushed black pepper.
- 8. Drizzle olive oil over the sprouts. I use roughly a tablespoon of oil per sheet.
- 9. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- 10. Check on them at 25 minutes to make sure the single leaves don’t burn.
- 11. Meanwhile, prepare glaze.
- 12. In a small skillet set on medium high heat, add coconut oil when hot.
- 13. When it begins to smoke add pancetta.
- 14. Let it sit a minute to sear, then toss.
- 15. Add maple syrup and brown sugar, reduce to medium heat, and stir just to combine.
- 16. Let it sit for 5-8 minutes, with 1 or 2 stirs, when the bubbles become the size of dimes (they will get larger and larger and the syrup evaporates and it thickens with increased heat) stir until your spoon has a thin coating of syrup.
- 17. Turn off heat and set aside.
- 18. Transfer roasted brussels sprouts into a serving dish.
- 19. Toss in pecans, then add pancetta and all its’ glaze.
- 20. Combine well and serve.