Roasted chicken with vegetables
Succulent, aromatic and so delicious.
This recipe contains onions, carrots, celery, fresh garlic, olive oil, chicken, sea salt, black pepper, lemons, fresh thyme
6 servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 20 min
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1000g free-range or organic chicken
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage
- 1. Wash and roughly chop the vegetables, without peeling them; break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.
- 2. Place all the vegetables and garlic into the middle of a roasting tray and drizzle with 2 tabelspoons of olive oil.
- 3. Drizzle the chicken with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper, rubbing it all over the bird.
- 4. Carefully prick the lemon all over, using the tip of a sharp knife.
- 5. Put the lemon inside the chicken's cavity, with the bunch of herbs.
- 6. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting tray and put it into the preheated (240°C) oven.
- 7. Turn the heat down immediately to 200°C and cook the chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 8. Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the vegetables seem dry, add a splash of water to the tray to prevent burning.
- 9. When cooked, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the chicken to a board to rest for 15 minutes. Cover it with a layer of tinfoil and a tea towel and put aside.
- 10. Take out the lemon and herbs from the chicken's cavity, carve and serve with roasted vegetables.